When you’re planning your new home, there are features that will take high priority. You want a certain number of rooms and square footage, for example. You have visions of your dream kitchen and master suite. You know where you want to build your new home.
But while you’re thinking about the details, here are 7 must-haves when building your new home—many of which are overlooked at this point.
1. Outdoor living space. If you want to expand your relaxation and entertainment into the backyard, plan now. Consider how you want to experience outdoor living. A patio or deck? Outdoor kitchen or fireplace? Maybe a pergola? Discuss options with your builder so you when you move into your new home, you can also move out to the back.
2. Storm shelter. In Oklahoma any other regions hit by tornadoes and hurricanes, a storm shelter is a definite “must-have”. Don’t leave this critical feature as something to do later, because “later” might be too late. Homes By Taber includes them in every home we build, because Taber LeBlanc has seen first-hand what a violent storm can do.
3. Tankless water heater. Forget about running out of hot water when you need it. A tankless water heater heats your water on demand, rather than storing it. It’s more energy-efficient (saving about $100 per year) and lasts 20 years or more.
4. Finishing details. While you’re thinking about room color and floor covering, don’t forget the little things that make a big difference. Cabinet hardware, doorknobs and levers, plumbing and lighting fixtures, dimmer switches, under-cabinet and task lighting, and backsplashes make an impact and a statement.
5. Air filtration system. The air inside your home is filled with pollutants, like dust, dust mites, pet dander, and pollen. It’s brought in on your clothes and shoes, on your pets, and through open windows and doors. The EPA estimates indoor air to be five times worse than outdoors. Protect everyone in your home with an air filtration system, which effectively removes the allergens to increase the indoor air quality. The added benefit is you have less dusting to do!
6. Sprinkler system. Our sprinkler systems include a smart home control panel. From the app, you can program watering zones and set schedules. Never worry again about forgetting to turn on the sprinklers.
7. Neighborhood amenities. Are you getting more than a home? When you choose the area to build your new home, consider the community amenities. Does it have a swimming pool, clubhouse, playground, and parks? These perks enhance the lifestyle, giving you more ways to enjoy the great outdoors, without the time and worry of maintenance.
There’s one more “must-have” to add to this list. You must have a builder who understands the importance of understanding your needs and wishes, who provides quality design and construction, and who stays on track to ensure that the schedule is met. Talk to Homes By Taber when you must have the home and the building experience of your dreams!