The holidays are undoubtedly in the air here in the Oklahoma City area, and although it may be tempting to cozy up in your Homes by Taber ® home with your favorite holiday movie and a warm cup of cocoa, there’s never been a better time to get out and discover the holiday magic of OKC. Near our new home communities in Oklahoma City filled with Proudly Overbuilt ® new homes, you can find an array of holiday attractions that will not only captivate your family - but also create cherished memories during this special time of the year. From dazzling light displays to enchanting holiday traditions, join Oklahoma’s Favorite Builder ® in exploring the best of what Oklahoma City has to offer this holiday season.
Downtown in December: A Classic OKC Tradition
In its 22nd year, the iconic Downtown in December celebration is a jam-packed holiday event that every OKC resident, visitor or holiday enthusiast should experience. Presented by Devon Energy, Downtown in December offers up dozens of entertainment, sight-seeing, shopping and family-friendly options to immerse yourself in, including:
- Devon Ice Rink: Skate across 5,500 square feet of real ice at the Devon Ice Rink in the Myriad Botanical Gardens, surrounded by dazzling lights for the perfect photo opportunity.
- Holiday Pop-Up Shops in Midtown: For the ultimate holiday shopping experience, head to the Holiday Pop-Up Shops in Midtown (which rotate weekly until December 17) to support local businesses and find the perfect gift for friends, family or yourself.
- Merry Midtown: This holiday season, Midtown businesses unite to provide festive opportunities for dining, shopping and merriment, offering limited-time promotions and special holiday touches from Small Business Saturday through Christmas Day.
- Lights on Broadway: Cherish the merry holiday spirit through the historic Automobile Alley during the district's 8th annual Lights On Broadway event, returning on December 9th and 16th. From 3 to 7 pm, enjoy stunning window displays, pop-up activities and special promotions from various retail shops and restaurants - complemented by live music, balloon art and photos with Santa Claus in his 1929 Mercedes Benz at the Oklahoma City Community Foundation parking lot.
- Downtown Light Displays: Explore the stunning holiday light displays across Downtown OKC's districts, including the dazzling LED lights in Automobile Alley, the vibrant Bricktown Canal Lights, the festive City Center illuminations and the colorful lights adorning Deep Deuce's historic streets. The displays are free to view from November 16th to January 7th, providing unforgettable scenery that the entire family will love.
- Vintage Christmas at Katiebug’s Sips & Sweets: Step into a vintage Christmas at Katiebug’s Sips & Sweets on 9th Street, evoking the nostalgic charm of a Hallmark movie. Indulge in their renowned hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows and savor cookies voted 2nd best in America by USA Today. With the walk-up window, drive-through and outdoor Winter Wonderland open from 12 pm to 6 pm Wednesdays through Saturdays, and the hot chocolate trailer at the Holiday Pop-Up Shops in Midtown, make Katiebug’s your go-to destination for a vintage-inspired holiday experience.
- ‘Tis the Season at Scissortail Park: Embark on a festive journey at Scissortail Park as 'Tis the Season takes center stage from November 18 to December 24. Delight in holiday magic with the 'Tis the Season Market & Concert, the cozy Cocoa Cottage, enchanting holiday lights, the Menorah Lighting and additional joyful festivities. All are welcome to wander the park grounds with loved ones, bask in the glow of the lights and immerse themselves in the heartwarming holiday atmosphere at Scissortail Park.
- Curbside Chronicle's Wrap-Up Homelessness Campaign and Holiday Wreaths: Illuminate the holidays with compassion and community support by backing Curbside Chronicle's Wrap-Up Homelessness Campaign and Holiday Wreaths. This initiative employs individuals transitioning out of homelessness to craft unique gift wrap packages and beautiful wreaths of various sizes and price points. You can acquire these thoughtful gifts streetside through Curbside vendors donning green vests, at the Holiday Pop-Up Shops in Midtown and conveniently online at wrapuphomelessness.com. For a festive touch, explore and purchase wreaths at Curbside Flowers in-store or online at curbsideflowers.com. The gift wrap and wreaths are available through the month of December, providing an opportunity to brighten your holiday season while making a positive impact in your community.
These exceptional holiday events and attractions make up just a portion of the unparalleled experiences Downtown in December can provide for you and your entire family. Discover the rest of the events and attractions here to make your holiday season in Oklahoma City truly unforgettable. Additionally, you can enjoy complimentary fares on the OKC Streetcar on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays this December as you take in all the holiday festivities that Downtown in December has to offer.
You Don’t Have to Go Far: Top Activities Near Your Taberhood
Although Downtown in December could fill up your entire holiday schedule, there is an array of seasonal activities you can enjoy without having to go too far out of your Taberhood, including:
- Ice Skating and Twinkling Lights in Edmond: Embrace the holiday spirit close to home in the city of Edmond, where you can bundle up and glide across the ice at a charming outdoor ice skating rink in Mitch Park, surrounded by the twinkling lights of the gorgeous Luminance holiday walk-through light display. This festive activity is perfect for creating joyful memories with family and friends without straying too far from Delmar Lakes North, Highgarden or Cordillera Ranch.
- Christmas in the Park in Yukon: Experience the magic of Christmas right in Yukon with Christmas in the Park. Wander through over 100 acres of enchanting lights and decorations, immersing yourself in the holiday ambiance. From the Santa Express Train to the 50-foot lighted tree, Yukon's Christmas in the Park is an incredible tradition near our Britton Farms and Highland Ranch communities.
- Santa’s Mailbox in Moore: Keep the holiday magic alive for your little ones by dropping off their wish lists in Santa's Mailbox in Moore, conveniently situated near Broadmoore Heights and The Waters. This charming activity adds a touch of excitement as children eagerly anticipate a response from the North Pole, making the season even more special without the need to venture far.
- Winterfest and Ugly Sweater Run in Norman: Celebrate the winter season in Norman, offering both festive and active options near Cedar Lane. Winterfest at Legacy Park, on December 9, provides a charming holiday village atmosphere with live music, a visit from Santa and seasonal delights. For a fun and lighthearted activity, participate in the Ugly Sweater Run on December 10, bringing a cheerful and community-driven event right to your doorstep in Norman.
From one end to the next, Oklahoma City and its vibrant surrounding areas are well-equipped to make sure your holidays are filled with joy, love and extraordinary memories with the people you love most. Whether you prefer the liveliness of Downtown OKC or the charm of the suburbs, this fantastic city has you covered this holiday season and beyond.
Embrace the Allure of OKC Year-Round with Homes by Taber
While the holiday season is certainly a magical time to live in Oklahoma City, our team at Homes by Taber knows you’ll love it here any time of year in a Proudly Overbuilt home. Whether you’re looking for a quick-move-in option just in time for the holiday season, or have time to design your house alongside us - we have the floor plans and sought-after new home communities in OKC you’re looking for. Give us a call at (405) 984-1185 or contact us online to learn more about our new homes in OKC to find the one that’s right for you, and enjoy your holiday season in OKC!